In recent times, mold removal kits are now being bought by many customers that are looking to eradicate their homes of mold, and mold exposure, at a low cost. However, many professional restorers in the field are actually advising against these kits and state that the risks are much too high for homeowners to be doing this on their own. “DIY” mold removal is not only unsafe, it can actually allow mold to spread and come back even stronger.

A professional in the field of mold remediation will be certified by the IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification). This IICRC is a non-profit organization that is highly committed to setting high standards and work ethics within the restoration community, and these standards ensure that everyone involved stays safe, and prevents potential health hazards to people exposed to the fungus.

The biggest and most dangerous risk that homeowners are exposed to when directly dealing with mold is coming in contact with an allergic reaction. Exposure to mold can cause a wide array of health issues including eye irritation, skin irritation, and shortness of breath, high fevers, and even pulmonary illness in severe cases. People with any type of immune deficiency or any kind of lung disease are most susceptible and can experience even worse side effects.

Find an IICRC certified mold remediation specialist in your area by following the link.

The most dangerous risk homeowners take when directly handling mold are encountering allergic reactions. Mold exposure can cause shortness of breath, eye irritation, skin irritation, high fevers and lung illness. People with immune deficiencies or sufferers of lung disease can experience worse side effects.

Another risk when trying to handle mold on your own without following proper guidelines is spreading the mold spores to other areas of the home. Mold protects itself by releasing thousands of spores at any given moment into the air if it feels as though it is threatened. These spores travel throughout the home, and they begin to settle in all rooms, on furniture, in carpeting, and on any other organic or porous material. Spores can even enter your ventilation or HVAC system of your home, and that will only cause a large depletion of the homes indoor air quality (IAQ).

When using an at home mold removal kit, the homeowner is putting themselves at risk of making the mold situation worse than it had been originally. An IICRC certified technician will use proper protective equipment including ventilators, goggles, and other types of outerwear to prevent any type of exposure. Also, they will quarantine the mold growth by setting up a containment barrier and using HEPA filters to properly and effectively remove and eradicate mold while assuring that any mold spores do not escape into other areas of the home. Mold itself is a serious health hazard, and you should always consult with a professional mold remediation service provider to avoid any prolonged exposure to mold allergens.

Updated: June 24, 2014 — 5:29 pm
Illinois Restoration Pros © 2014